Sweetbriar Dreams

So where shall we go on our journey today?

Sunday 22 June 2014

Time To Go Back Through The Ages

It's hard to believe that it is TWO YEARS since I bravely clicked on 'Publish' and Sweetbriar Dreams was 'born'.  It has been such a learning curve since then with different designs, templates and even cameras!  But one thing that has been consistent is the variety of people I have 'met' along the way - my virtual penpals.  It was slow at first as I learned the blogging protocol for myself, but in the end followers began to show their presence, my constant check on statistics became a thing of the past, and then some comments began to appear.  I started my blog mainly for the love of crafts but my blogging voice just had to be the every day goings on in my little life, my love of capturing a moment in time and incorporating it into a post to look back on and remember.  Unfortunately, I can't be a blogger that writes every other day, there really is not enough hours for me, so have kept pretty consistent to one blog per week with a little bit of 'Wordless' occasionally in the middle of the week.  In between, I love catching up with what is going on in everybody's lives and admiring the photography.  You all are such amazing, talented and have made this little corner of blogland very humble and happy indeed.

Two years ago I went to the Peterborough Heritage Weekend for the first time and my first full blog post was created here.  Then last year another visit took place here.  So, are you ready for a trip down memory lane?  The usual requirements are needed i.e. your cup of tea and an indulgent biscuit, while I take you on the third trip to this amazing event set in the Cathedral Precincts and various other venues in the area.  Look, Queen Katharine of Aragon is waiting for you...
Henry VIII was inside the Cathedral, flirting with his audience!
This fabulous weekend is partly set within the walls of the Cathedral.  The green is totally taken over by tents full of various centuries of crafts, wares and history.
The Bishop and the Dean's gardens were opened too to set the scenes for various encampments.  The Knights Chamber archway is one that is private but today it could be walked through and into the Bishop's garden for the Viking encampment (even the Morris Dancers trotted and rang their way through to take a look!)
The encampment was nearly empty when we visited which is such a shame as there is one particular Viking that I like to photograph but he was no where to be seen!
Such a setting, and obviously one that I know very well.  The scaffolding in the background which I have previously shown in posts just shows the sheer scale of this meccanno set, and one that I have been told that I have permission to go on shortly... what a post that one will be!!  In the shade, there were Viking children enjoying the old walnut tree.
We were drawn to the sound of drums out in the City Centre and were delighted to catch a few groups of Morris Dancers.  The jangling bells and clapping of hands, so colourful.
I had some favourites though!  This man's hat was amazing!
And this lot were ones that I really wouldn't want to meet alone!
I could have watched them all day!!
As D Day has now reached its 70th year, the event had World War I as its main theme. Here's a group of photos of these wonderful men and women who were totally in character.







Further on, there were more soldiers from a totally different era.  The crimson in their jackets was so striking.



  
Then the Romans!  


 The Middle Ages were in the Dean's garden.  I just loved this character with these amazing glasses.
And, of course, a posing Knight!
 Phew!  A busy and incredibly interesting day.  My camera was working over time and so was everyone else's!  I have never seen such gigantic cameras as those that surrounded me and all the people in costume were more than happy to pose for the cameras.  A very happy day!
But at the end of the day I felt as wiped out as this soldier!  Information overload and so many photos to put together for today's post.  
I do hope you enjoyed this rather long Bloganniversary post and have enjoyed going back through the ages.

Here's to another year!!

Take care.


You can also follow me on:

Follow on Bloglovin follow us in feedly
This week I am sharing with:

26 comments:

  1. oh what a brilliant event and a fantastic blog ost....congratulations on your blogiversary!
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy blogiversary. What fantastic costumes"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these sort of events - the people involved really do take their 'historicals' seriously don't they. I bet they were all sweltering in those costumes. Happy blogiversary - long may you continue.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Blogversary! I so enjoy reading and looking at the pictures on your blog..thanks for the smiles. It is almost like I am there. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on your Blogversary and you rpicturs are brilliant, I love the detail in the costumes

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations, and what a great way to celebrate your blogversary! Everyone looks to be having a really good time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't remember when I first started following your blog, but it has been at least a year or more. I love it and hope you continue to show us some of your beautiful photo's with beautiful 'scenery' and just let us 'dream' through your 'stories'. Amazing and fun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful post with great photo's. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a great post. i love this sort of thing.
    Congrats on your 2 year blogaversary, may there be many more.

    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Chel, wow happy 2 year Blogaversary! I really loved all the photos and you always make us feel like we are right there with you! Wishing another wonderful year of blogging! Have a nice week.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVED this - how fun it would be to meet Catherine of Aragon. And that Henry VIII always was a flirt. Careful of your head!
    Truly a walk through the ages. Time travel is so exhausting. Congratulations on your second year of blogging. I wish you many more.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy second blogaversary!!!!!! Here's hoping for many more interesting and happy years of blogging! Your visit looks as though it was amazing!! So many different things to see and so many eras of history to go through! The morris dancers costumes are wonderful aren't they, especially the hats! xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I truly enjoyed this post, Chel and especially the scenes from WWI. The costumes for them all are just wonderful. Happy anniversary with your blog. I always enjoy visiting and seeing your beautiful photos. Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats on 2 years' worth of blogging, Chel. Another fascinating post. Thanks for sharing. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  15. What an amazing event! The sheer number of costumes is incredible! What a feast for the eyes (and obviously the camera). Thanks for sharing this remarkable fair with us, I enjoyed it very much :) Wendy x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy anniversary Chel. What a great day that looks. It's amazing how much trouble people go to - and the attention to detail is stunning. Well done you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can't imagine how much planning must have happened to create such a spectacular festival. great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy anniversary, Chel - time does fly, doesn't it? Thank you for taking us along on another wonderfully colorful and interesting event. It's amazing to look back on the styles and times of previous generations. As beautiful as they are, I am most grateful for our modern day comfortable clothes! Love all the photos. xo Karen

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy 2 year Blogiversary, Chel! Although I didn't have a cup of tea (no, not near my laptop ever again!) or a biscuit ( I did have some salt water taffy, since I am at the beach right now), I thoroughly enjoyed your tour of the heritage weekend! It was so colorful, and so veddy British! I just loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a wonderful series of shots! And congratulations on your two years of blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Such a fascinating event. So many colorful and interesting things to see & do there. I enjoyed your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Happy 2nd Blog Anniversary! Wonderful photos, I love the pretty costumes.. i will look forward to many more of your blog post. Enjoy the rest of your week!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great post thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Happy Blogiversary...you have a wonderful blog, and I always look forward to seeing your posts.

    What a colorful and fun festival to visit. I can see why you took so many photos, it's such a opportunity for a diverse group of shots.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  25. I do love a good festival! Such fun.

    Nina x

    ReplyDelete
  26. Happy happy two years! Congrats to you. Love your posts and all the bright colored costumes. Thank yo for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting, I love reading your comments and will answer either by email or on the blog. You can also email me privately in my side bar. Have a great day x

Other Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...