Sweetbriar Dreams

So where shall we go on our journey today?

Tuesday 22 December 2015

Christmas Decorations at Chatsworth House, Derbyshire UK


Well Mr Darcy, how do you do!  We have been waiting to visit Chatsworth House, the home of the Duke and Duchess of Devonshire, with its Christmas decorations for simply months!  And so, what a way to end my 2015 blogging year with this sumptuous, gorgeous, exquisite house.


This is a picture heavy post for which I don't apologise.  I really wanted to share this with you while you relax during your days of sharpening the elbows for the shops and the madness of crowds.  Our trip to Chatsworth will be in two parts, the inside - today's post with its Christmas decorations to the theme of The Wind in the Willows and very soon the incredible exterior .

So, sit back and enjoy with your champagne and caviar!

For those of you who have enjoyed the 2005 Pride and Prejudice, you will know this bust of Mr Darcy.  This bust is the actual one used in the film and has a little sign to say that there is to be no kissing!


Sorry, being distracted!  The reason we came was to see the magnificent Christmas decorations and they certainly didn't disappoint.  The stately home is full of treasures and incredible architecture, so to see the top end of decorations and imagination was a marvel to cherish.








My favourite room by far was the library.  My obsession of owning a room full of books with a desk to write at, a dark colour scheme and a feeling of serene calm was here.  No need to look anymore.  I have found my perfection!


Further along the corridor, a room that would fill some people with dread.  Which fork do I use first?


The dining room was filled with the rascal voices of the weasels from The Wind in the Willows.  Smashing glasses, merryment and mischief.  






Some of the weasels were being particularly naughty though and hiding behind the curtains...


... and under the table!


A spectacular room with a wonderful way of engaging the book with the decorations needed to flow through the house.


Looking up as we walked through the many rooms and hall ways was just paradise for me.  The chandeliers were rich with their opulence.


And the plainer version was equally as spectacular, surrounded by exquisite statues!


The decorations continued throughout and the trees were so tastefully decorated making the statues stand out even more in their beauty in the sculpture gallery.



We were now upstairs which was equally beautiful.  If only there were no other visitors around, I would have very easily just slipped into this incredibly comfortable looking bed.  Couldn't you?



At the other end of the room, a very happy Mole was singing and enjoying a good bath in a cupboard! 


Another favourite thing of mine is to see a wash basin and jug.  It screams simple and beautiful times.  But oh dear, how strong were my feelings to move that lampshade to hide the line.  Seriously, it was very hard for me not to reach across and help it along!


Now this capture really made me smile.  In the stairwell the water heater was lit up.  The Duke and Duchess' water was being heated, and not by servants of times gone past.


Each room we visited showed off Christmas trees so beautifully decorated.



Mr Toad had clearly been very busy!


But now he sinks into his bed and relaxes for another full day of mischievous antics.


Once again, thank you so much for visiting and commenting.  My bandages come off tomorrow and my new feet will be revealed!  A little nervous about it but at least I will know what I need to deal with very shortly.  I can't wait to get out and about once more and life can return back to some normality.

I am going to take a little blogging break now to get the last bits and pieces in order before the big day, so until next time I wish my lovely readers a ...

VERY HAPPY AND MERRY CHRISTMAS/HANUKKAH


 photo e127e7a9-646f-47ff-8adb-930c1addf87f_zpsb0e3c980.png  photo 43d9db63-9ac6-4aa6-8adb-43ab052e4dea_zps94055fcc.png  photo c0f49c42-6866-416f-8340-41ce81ee7852_zps0989e201.png  photo 043887a8-568d-4534-898f-0b71d3da8430_zps4f05a031.png  photo dbaee30f-3590-4d4c-b9a6-fb29703b72ce_zpsd520d96f.png  photo 9bec910d-59b0-4394-9417-26a7a2dfed87_zps7071a0de.png  photo b8891b4b-1ce1-4edb-bf8b-ca24b4488d5f_zps91340dc1.png 
Sharing with:

50 comments:

  1. Absolutely beautiful!!! It is stunning isn't it. So glad that you got to see it and that you enjoyed it so much. I hope that all will be well with your footsies and that you will not have to do too much standing on them over Christmas! Happy Christmas! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous photos, Chel. Good luck with seeing your feet tomorrow! Merry Christmas to you and yours! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous photos - I've been there in the summer but it looks wonderful in all of its Christmassy and festive glory. Good luck with the removal of the bandages - wishing you a speedy recovery and a very happy christmas to you and your family xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed these familiar and some unseen before rooms and corridors. I find that house amazing and wondered if it was cold inside. I can't imagine the heating system if there is one beside fireplaces. Thanks so much Chel for sharing this! Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful visit you have taken us on! I can't believe the beautiful decorations. Heal quickly and have a blessed Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope all goes well with the big reveal on the feet. Such a great visit, the Christmas décor was outstanding. Have a great Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A Very elegant, indeed, array of photos of a beautiful place ~ thanks so much for the tour ~

    Wishing you the magic and love of this season today and everyday,
    artmusedog and carol

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank You, the tour was delightful.
    Merry Christmas to you and family.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It doesn't get much better than Christmas at Chatsworth. I can feel the urge now to put on the DVDs of the. most fantastic series ever of Pride and Prejudice. Merry Christmas and best of luck for a speedy recovery to get you back on your pins again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. No champagne here, but I am enjoying a cup of tea and some chocolate while I look at these wonderful photos! Magnificent, Chel. I'm so glad you shared Chatsworth at Christmas time! I love the whimsy and humour added to the elegance.
    Can we sit in the library together? I'll play a soft tune on that piano and then settle at a desk to write or in one of those comfy chairs and lose myself in a book. Surely someone will be around offering a tea tray?
    I hope your healing goes very, very well. Merry Christmas blessings to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a stunning place and recorded so beautifully by you, fab photos, thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Christmas Chel and good luck tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ohhhhh wow....stunningly beautiful...and people actually live like that? Beautiful (and I am so speechless)--Merry Christmas to you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a fancy place! Love all the ornate decorations (and pity you can't kiss Mr. Darcy!) Good luck with your healing feet. And Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  15. My type of dream,just My cup of tea.Gorgeous and magical.Blessings of the Season-Denise

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your pictures of Chatsworth are stunning Chel. That huge mole in the bath is slightly scary I think but I loved all the decorations and the sense of fun.
    Hope you are back to normal very soon but don't try and rush things along.
    wishing you are yours a very Happy Christmas
    Love Jacquie x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Cooking, baking, cleaning, shopping, wrapping. . . . . . Chel it's taking all my time!!! However, just a quick hello and sending loving wishes to you and your family for the most wondrous Christmas ever, and may the New Year bring you all much peace and joy.
    Wishing you a complete recovery and much jumping for joy and dancing for fun in the near future!

    Love, Mary X

    P.S. after Christmas I'll go back and read and love all your many beautiful posts!

    ReplyDelete
  18. How fabulous, I love Chatsworth and how it's decorated. I also love those weasels on the tables - and the naughty ones too, now there's a sentence I never thought I'd write. Have a fab Christmas xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank You so much for sharing this. Living in Sydney, it's not something I could just pop out to see for myself, so I really appreciate your photos. Have a lovely Christmas and a happy healthy New Year

    ReplyDelete
  20. Chel - What a gorgeous place especially all decorated for the holidays. Thanks for sharing with us. Merry Christmas to you and yours!

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  21. You never disappoint with your photos, Chel, and you take us to far away place we may only dream of gong to!

    I love that we met this year. Merry Christmas to you and yours!

    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Utterly gorgeous. Even though our entire house would probably fit into the hall, it is still possible to take ideas that would work for a smaller space.
    I hope your new feet are pretty!
    Merry Christmas to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Simply stunning, isn't it, Chel - and beautifully captured as ever. Love Tracey's comment, above. All the best with the tootsies - you'll be skipping about again in no time, I'm sure. Thanks for your lovely posts, and for popping across to my blog as you do. All the very best for Christmas and the year ahead to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow, wow, wow! Thank you for this tour. I loved how they added some whimsy throughout. Wishing you the best with your feet and a Very Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow, that is spectacular! Like you, I'd love to have a library. This one is a dream - just beautiful. Love all the characters they sprinkled throughout. These grand places always amaze me. To think of living in one of these! Thanks for sharing! Hope all goes well with your feet.
    Merry Christmas to you and yours!
    Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  26. So very beautiful! My favorite was the library as well! I do love a library! The decorations are all gorgeous. The lamp cord would have bothered me as well...lol! I just read on FB that your bandages are off. I know you are happy about that and I'm sure that bath was a delight! Wishing you and yours a very Merry Christmas. May is be bright, blessed and beautiful! Hugs to you my friend! And, I won't be across the pond on Christmas day...I'll be flying over it! :)

    Blessings, Vicky

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wonderful pictures of Chatsworth with Christmas decorations. I love the beautiful classic interior with that hilarious weasel crawling under the table and a mole in the bath. I have been enjoying this all very much despite no champaign and caviar here on my table.
    Wish you and your family a very Merry Christmas Chel!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I have seen this house in TV specials but never in person...what an incredible sight for the holidays....thanks for sharing it in all its splendor!

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a gorgeous, wonderful, stunning post !
    As usual, my darling Chel, you left me in awe, thank you so much for sharing your amazing photographs.
    I wish you the most wonderful Christmas ever, treasure your family time and your hearth ( and take care of your poor feet ! )
    With true love and admiration
    Dany

    ReplyDelete
  30. I thought I recognized the Chatworth House from one of my absolute favorite movies, "Pride and Prejudice". Colin Firth is so gorgeous! *lol* Uh, what was I saying ... oh yeah. I also watched Secrets of the Great Houses on PBS recently in which Chatworth was featured. It's nice to see it all 'dolled up' for Christmas. Thank you for sharing all these lovely photos. I pray your healed and back on your feet soon. Please be sure to share. Very best wishes and Happy CHRISTmas hugs from across the pond! ~:)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Loved the tour, and yes libraries are the best place to curl up with a great book, or take a nap. Have a Merry Christmas and happy unveiling.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Beautiful photos - I love the whimsical animals everywhere. Merry Christmas - Troy

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thank you for sharing this Glorious place, Chel! Well worth of Mr. Darcy. Happy holidays.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  34. Thank you for a beautiful tour of this stunning place. I love the quirky use of the animals. I hope you feet are looking good and continue to heal. Make sure you get good advice on looking after the wounds so that they heal well. Happy Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Thanks for your comment - Merry Christmas to you too :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. PRECIOSA E INTERESANTE PUBLICACIÓN!!!
    Felices días navideños:)))
    Conxita

    ReplyDelete
  37. Chel, these photos are just fabulous! It still seems like these things must only be living inside the television with Julian Fellowes, but I know they're real! Thanks for the delightful post. I hope you are feeling lots better. Have a wonderful Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  38. What a treat absolutely beautiful. Have a good Chrismtas Chel.

    ReplyDelete
  39. So very beautiful,thanks for sharing! Wishing you and your family a wonderful Christmas,Anita xx

    ReplyDelete
  40. So very beautiful,thanks for sharing! Wishing you and your family a wonderful Christmas,Anita xx

    ReplyDelete
  41. Thanks for the lovely tour and decorated so pretty! Wishing you a Merry Christmas Chel!!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Good morning, Chel, and thank your for the amazing tour.
    I wish you and yours a very merry Christmas and much happiness for the new year! xx

    ReplyDelete
  43. Wishing you a very merry Christmas, Chel! Chatsworth wows me each time I visit. I loved your photos :-) I hope your feet are feeling better and that you're up and about again soon xxx

    ReplyDelete
  44. All of that exquisite grandeur, and yet a sense of humor with those weasels and Mr. Toad, too! This was so much fun to look at - can’t imagine what it would be like in person. Hope your feet are healing well, and that you are up and about soon. Hope you are having a Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  45. How wonderful, Chel ... Love those golden ceilings and the decorations - my childhood dream of a glorious Christmas castle!
    Get well soon - Wishing you a Marry Christmas - and some good days of rest and recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Wonderfull Xmas decoration, Happy end Xmas,Happy days untill New Year,
    Best regard from Belgium
    http://louisette.eklablog.com "blog my city Mons in Belgium"

    ReplyDelete
  47. all looks marvelous! hope you had a lovely Christmas and all the best for 2016 xxx

    ReplyDelete
  48. Beautiful photos and so much fun. The Wind in the Willows is a favorite in this house. :-) Rat is may favorite. Badger is my husbands. :-)) My boys both like Toad. Ha!
    Happy New Year,
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  49. I think I just stepped into Christmas heaven!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting, I love reading your comments and will answer either by email or on the blog. You can also email me privately in my side bar. Have a great day x

Other Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...