Sweetbriar Dreams

So where shall we go on our journey today?

Saturday 14 June 2014

A Trip to Bishopsthorpe Palace, York

This week it was lovely to just turn up at a place and not have the logistics to worry about. Yes, work was going to be a touch easier, if only for a day!  Last year we were asked to go to Lambeth Palace for a meeting (the Archbishop of Canterbury's London residence), but this year we decided to opt for Bishopsthorpe Palace, York (the Archbishop of York's residence).  As we headed out of York Station and were taxi'd through the streets, I could only look at the walls, the gorgeous buildings and the scenery.  Another private trip would need to be made to capture the things I wanted to show you but for now, I can only give you a glimpse of the Palace but I am sure you will like to see it (if only from the outside!).  Little Pixie camera came with me on this trip as I didn't want to look too conspicuous with a huge telephoto lens!!  So, have you got your cucumber sandwiches ready and a nice cup of tea by your side?  Let's visit the Archbishop of York...
In typical fashion I like to capture the carvings and the little touches such as lights, and above the entrance the lamp, columns, vaulted ceiling... etc etc  took my eye.
The hints of stained glass were so beautifully set in the stone windows.
We were going to go through the doors and start networking with our colleagues, I'll let you have a glimpse of just through the door and the pink walls with white edging.  This is the hallway that would lead us to our meeting - work was waiting.
The meeting went well and as were leaving a little later than the others, we were lucky enough to be given a little tour of the garden.  Do you want to see?...
The back of the Palace was immaculate with the well tended lawns.
But through a gate was the conservation area of the gardens.  We walked through wildflowers and listened to the deer that were walking to the side of us.
Then as we walked I could see some stonework in the distance...
A little closer and we were looking at a folly surrounded by rhododendrons!
To the side of this the lake was beautifully calm with its green edging from the trees.
And of course you must have a life belt nearby!
It was a beautiful place and to see the Palace was such a treat!
The drive was sweeping with a wonderful clock tower.  Here is a link to show the Archbishop setting the clock when it was restored.

But the day was nearly over and we still had a little journey to go, which meant visiting this wonderful station...
I haven't set foot on this station platform since I was at school and with my late paternal grandparents, so this was a nice trip down memory lane.  The iron above our heads was amazing to look at along with the little details.
So, not a lot of photos to show you this week I'm afraid but it was for work which meant I wasn't to look too excited!!!  Next week I will be making up for it though, it's the Peterborough Heritage Weekend and if you have read my little blog since the beginning, yes, it will be two years next week!  You will remember how much fun this event is.  If you are in the area don't miss it!  The Vikings, Tudors, Romans, Victorians, Soldiers... you name it, they have it, in the precincts, Cathedral Square, Museum, the Bishop's garden and the Dean's garden.  It's free and such a day!  Who knows, we might even meet up!!  This is on the 22nd and 23rd June - it really is a great trip for all the family.  If you want some more information my previous posts on this great event are here and here and the link from the organisers is here.  If you can't make it though, don't worry, I'll be faithfully clicking away to share with you next week.

Have a wonderful weekend and week everyone!

Take care.


You can also follow me on:

Follow on Bloglovin follow us in feedly

24 comments:

  1. Wonderful photos, Chel. Thanks for sharing them with us. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My work sometimes involves a trip to Tesco but somehow it doesn't quite compare. I'm glad you were able to sneak a few pictures to show us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What wonderful photos, you really captured some great details of the buildings. I am glad that you got to go and visit the Palace. It is very hard when you see so many things that you want to look at and photograph and you can't! Happy nearly Blogaversary!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. You capture the most beautiful architectural details in your photos! How amazing to see all of that craftsmanship in person! And that clock photo... Wow!!! It would be such a treat to have a walk through that garden as well! Thanks for taking us on a visit! Nicole xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. A beautiful post Chel! I love all the architecture and the tiny details and carvings along with the old lanterns etc. It's a really beautiful building and grounds. I hope the Heritage Weekend is a great success and will look forward to your post about it. Enjoy the week. xo Pam

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, I enjoyed your post very much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved the reflection in the glass door in one of the first photos. I'm always pleased when a photo works out like that. Love the beautiful sky when you took the clock, too. Amazing photos my friend! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah how I love the architecture of England. So beautiful! Thank you as always for letting us tag along!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Chel, wow what a beautiful palace and such lovely photos! It sounds like you had such a nice day and nice to be out of your regular work day. Wishing you a wonderful Sunday and week.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such beautiful buildings - and what a treat to pop out into the garden! I'm so pleased you took your camera so we could all join in the tour.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What wonderful photos, such a lovely place. Thank you for sharing. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great! You're lucky to have had the chance to see something most of us hoi poloi don't get to see - and thanks for the glimpse at this rarified world. Wonderful shots as usual. I particularly liked the one that reflected the gate in the French window. Nice one, Chel! PS York's pretty expensive, but it's free to wander round the city walls...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fabulous photos as usual, Chel. Lxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am always awed by the beautiful old architecture you share with us. I simply cannot imagine living so close to such beautiful and historical places. That folly is so lovely with all the greenery. Looking forward to the next trip! Have a blessed week sweet friend!

    Hugs, Vicky

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for sharing your fabulous photos, x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the amazing grounds around the palace and the train station detail, to die for!

    ReplyDelete
  17. As usual you take us to somewhere interesting and give us your different take on things. It looks a wonderful place I love all the little details you share.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Once again I'm struck by the wealth of history and beautiful buildings in the UK. I really appreciate 'hearing' the joy, excitement and appreciation in your words - that you don't take all of this for granted. I thoroughly enjoyed this visit!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Even the photos taken with your little pixie camera are wonderful Chel :-) A lovely post and I'm looking forward to the next one already :-)
    Tracey xxx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Chel, sorry I haven't been visiting regularly. Life has been hectic, but I'm happy to have come back to this fabulous excursion. Even with your little camera, you have captured magnificent images!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hello Chel! Gorgeous, gorgeous pictures and interesting takes on things that most people would casually miss out on. I love the detail.

    Nina x

    ReplyDelete
  22. You have a fine eye for detail, Chel and have given us beautiful glimpses of a beautiful place. I would say that having to work in such surroundings must be very trying, indeed! (wink-wink!) Such beautiful scenes - I enjoyed coming along with you! xo Karen

    ReplyDelete
  23. oh, I do love your photography skills! So many great shots here, but my favourite is the glass door with that wonderful building reflection in it! I'm in York next week, would like to think I could get here for a look around - such magical gardens!
    BH x

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a beautiful spot you have here! I feel like I'm on a virtual tour of England, your photos are beautiful :) Looking forward to exploring more!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting, I love reading your comments and will answer either by email or on the blog. You can also email me privately in my side bar. Have a great day x

Other Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...