Sweetbriar Dreams

So where shall we go on our journey today?

Friday 15 April 2016

So, Where Shall We Go On Our Journey Today... The Shard, London


It has been a long time coming.  Walking through the streets of London seemed such a distant memory even though the last time I was in my home town was only on the 1 November.  Such a lot has happened and having fit feet was essential for any of my trips to my home turf.  So, are you ready?  It's been a while since I said this, grab yourself a chocolate digestive or two and a nice hot cup of tea and let me do the walking.  So, where shall we go on our journey today?... The View from the Shard, London.


The Shard has had a bit of bad press with its imposing presence on the London skyline, especially by me.  How dare it take away the beauty of the old buildings.  BUT, now I have been to the top and seen my wonderful City laid out before me like an 3D map, I have to say I'm sold!

St Paul's Cathedral in the centre
Looking East towards Tower Bridge, The Isle of Dogs and Greenwich
To get up to the top of this 95 storey skyscraper in Southwark, London didn't take long.  After going through security (yay! the pins in my feet didn't set off the alarms) you then go into two lifts.  One takes you to the thirty third floor, then a short walk around the corner and the second takes you to the seventy second!  A fast lift that I have to say makes you feel a little uncomfortable as it slows to stop, but the views take this all away (and the champagne!).  


Yes it's high but as we slowly walked around this level, we enjoyed looking out for places that we knew so well.  St Paul's Cathedral of course...


The Monument, dwarfed by the buildings that now surround the area that it once represented as a monument to the great fire of London.




The Tower of London with its beautiful green lawn, so different from when the poppies made such a statement.


Tower Bridge providing the gateway into the City along with HMS Belfast.


And in the distance on the opposite shore to the Isle of Dogs, my favourite place - Greenwich.  The zoom had to be used to its fullest, but you can just make out the Observatory where the Meridian Line takes us on its journey, the Cutty Sark, The Queens House and The Royal Naval College.


The Razor in the opposite direction.


And then the square mile.  The London Eye's views will not be the same for me after this experience.  Looking at the Eye as the face of a clock, at 7 o'clock you can see the Houses of Parliament and at 10 o'clock, Buckingham Palace.


There are two viewing platforms, one enclosed and one open!  Yes, you read that right, open!!  Looking down at the enclosed platform gives some perspective of just how large this place is.


And, yes again, the next level is open!


Looking up and feeling the air and looking up at sky was quite an experience.


But this was open only above us, not right next to us so there was no worrying about going too far over the edge.



From up here we were able to work out where we were going next.  Looking down we could see Southwark Cathedral and Borough Market.  Lunch was calling us!


But a little crowded by the looks of things!


The Thames flowing below us, so busy and so beautiful with its bridges keeping London moving.


So what did we think of this place?


Absolutely amazing.  Worth every penny if you want to see this fantastic City in one sweep (but then I'm biased).  However, from the outside... hmmm jury's still out.


Once on the ground again we couldn't leave it there.  Borough Market, The Globe, Millenium Bridge, St Pauls, The Museum of London, Tower of London, Tower Bridge and lastly Hayes Galleria - but that's for another post after my ankles have deflated!


I hope you enjoyed this trip from your armchair.  Next time I'll be walking you through the streets of London on firm ground.

35 comments:

  1. What amazing views, it really does show the City well. But, no way vcould I have gone that high. Vertigo above about 10 feet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. An amazing view, Chel and great shots!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You took us on an amazing trip, I am not sure I would go up there myself I haven't got much of a head for heights. It was truly amazing to see and look forward to your next instalment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent photos of the city. Since most of the medieval history I study takes place in, or around London, been doing a bit of amateur studies on it. Until recently, I didn't know that "the Romans built the city where London now stands, bridging the Thames and creating Londinium. From around AD 50 to 410, this was the largest city in Britannia and a vital international port." [Museum Of London] I had no idea it was that old! Love the history of this area and ancient France. Your so lucky to be so close to it all. Thank you for sharing.
    Hope your feet are healed and all is well in your neck of the woods. ~:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Chel,
    We did not do the Shard when we visited London a few years ago and wished we could of done this! What gorgeous views of the city. I will have to remember this for the next time we take a trip and visit England.
    I hope you have a wonderful Friday and weekend. :)
    Julie xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. It'S fabulous isn't it. I've been up twice now and it was worth every penny. The first time was when all the poppies were round the tower and it looked amazing. I think what struck me most was how big the river seemed. Glad you had a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful view. I enjoyed seeing the Tower from above. A very nice perspective. Putting this on the list for the next time we are in London! ellen b. @
    https://happywonderer.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Chel, so glad you're out and about enjoying yourself. How did the feet feel? You were up high looking down, that's for sure. What a bird's eye-view of London!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, what awesome photos, Chel! This is definitely on my bucket list...
    Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks amazing, you've taken some great shots. I have a few friends who have been and they've all recommended it too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I want to go and see it! When we were in London last October, we were close t the Shard, we walked beside the Thames and went into Southwark Cathedral. I thought I wouldn't like the Shard, but was surprised at how well it fit into the area. It is an amazing building! I would love to go to the top like you did! I will let you know if I ever do, you will see it on my blog, FOR SURE!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for that wonderful post.
    What a view indeed! I wonder if I could do it since I'm terribly afraid of heights...probably not?
    Did you purchase your tickets in advance?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fabulous photos. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fabulous photos. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The view is spectacular but I agree about the outside look, debatable.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a building! Wonderful views from up on high. Glad you are your feet are out walking around once again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Incredible views! Looks like it might be worth visiting!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fabulous, Chel! Even via your photos, it was thrilling to see London from that vantage point!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for sharing! We watched it being built over a period of time but have not been inside yet, it will go on our to do list for the next time we are in London. I really like the idea of an 'open' bit.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I remember going up to the top of The Monument when a small boy. My, we thought we were high! In my student days I spent many hours walking around those streets but, just think, I could now whizz up to the top of the Shard and save myself a deal of trouble. Glad to here the pins in your pins are doing their job.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Breathtaking views. Not sure I could go that high up, lol. Thanks for sharing your incredible city. How I long to go back! Glad your feet are better and you can take us around again. Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Glad to hear you're out and about again :) Those views are something else - it all looks so different form so high up!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Marvellous photos Chel. I haven't been to London since the Shard was built, how bad is that.

    ReplyDelete
  24. What can I say? Magnificent! Breathtaking! Unbelievable! The most exciting thing I've seen in ages. Forwarding this to everyone I know.

    P.S. Besides, I live in the USA, and you just saved me a ton of money. Seeing it in person could not have been any better than your wonderful photography.

    ReplyDelete
  25. The views are amazing! I really loved seeing the Tower of London from above.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thank you so, so much for sharing these pictures with us!

    ReplyDelete
  27. It all looks wonderful, great photos..
    Amanda xx

    ReplyDelete
  28. WOW! Fabulous views and photos Chel. I don't know if I could go up there and see that. I might have to take an anti-anxiety pill before hand! Thanks for sharing. Now, can you bring me back to firm ground please? :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Fabulous, Chel! Your photos are always great but this has brought the Shard to life for me. My friend's visually impaired daughter loves London and makes frequent visits and has taken many photos from the Shard. You have taken me on so many lovely journeys, Chel - long may you continue! Lx

    ReplyDelete
  30. The views are, indeed, amazing, but the outside......... not a look I like at all.

    ReplyDelete
  31. What wonderful views! I would love to see St Paul's some day. My late mother in law was a Londoner and she told the story that during WW2, after a night of bombing, that all would look for St Paul's and it was said that as long as St Paul's was still standing, London would stand.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Late to your 'Shard Party' but glad I'm joining it now dear Chel! For some reason we didn't go up last Summer - time constraints perhaps, and we gave granddaughter Jasmin the chance to pick places to visit on that visit as she hadn't been there since she was 8. If/when I return to the city I will definitely take the journey upward - always love looking down on everything.

    Great pix - thanks for sharing so many interesting/historic places, and all of London's crazy new buildings!

    Hugs - Mary

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting, I love reading your comments and will answer either by email or on the blog. You can also email me privately in my side bar. Have a great day x

Other Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...